Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Wicked whites

My diploma course is drawing to an end and soon I will get my Wednesday evenings back. That said I am looking at many weekends of studying for the final exam… Last week we studied Western Australia and New Zealand and tried some fantastic wines – thought I’d share a few.

Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2004 Margaret River, Western Australia
If you have £30 in your pocket and want to spend it on wine then this is the bottle to go for – that is if you can find this ‘cult’ wine. I’ve located it at the fine wine merchant Domaine Direct (see links) but who knows how long they’ll have it for. It’s a truly delicious white, I couldn’t stop drinking it and there was no spitting in the class room when this was in our glasses (our teacher had to tell one guy off ‘stop drinking and start studying’ when he topped up his glass). It’s rich and round with notes of banana, caramel pineapple and citrus. The texture is smooth and silky and the length never ending. My tasting notes states ‘pure heaven’.

Felton Road Block 1 Riesling 2007 Central Otago, New Zealand
This is an absolutely scrumptious Riesling. It’s seriously sweet yet the searing high acidity (this is positive) balance the wine perfectly keeping the wine sweet yet refreshing. It’s young though: fresh, citrussy, mineral with an attractive steeliness to it. I’d love to try this one in a couple of years when it’s petrolly and honeyed. Anyone fancy sharing a case for cellaring purposes just let me know and I’ll see if I can locate some of this delicious wine! £15.99 at Berry Bros & Rudd

Milton Chardonnay, Opou Vineyard 2005 Gisborne, New Zealand
Another stunner with some real character. Almost golden in colour, this wine had slight oxidative characteristics with a smoky nose and a tropical fruit laden, buttery and nutty palate. Great intensity of flavours and good acidity keeps the wine lifted and refreshing. A definite food wine probably suitable for fish in creamy sauces. £10.99 at vintageroots.co.uk

No comments: