Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Friday’s Champagne tasting

Many thanks to all of you who came to the tasting – I had a brilliant time and I really do hope you enjoyed it as well! Any feedback, comments or suggestions for future events are very welcome. I have yet to find the answer to Anna’s question on the reasoning behind always producing champagne as a sparkling wine, I’ll get back as soon as I find a plausible explanation. Meanwhile, I can only suggest we continue to relish in these delicious bubbles in a blissful state of ignorance! Below are the wines we tried, paired as they were presented on Friday.

Waitrose Blanc de Noirs NV Champagne
Made only from Pinot Noir, this champagne just received a trophy from the International Wine and Spirit Competition – if you feel you need another reason for trying it again. £17.99 at Waitrose
Waitrose Blanc de Blancs NV Champagne
All made from delicious Chardonnay grapes. £19.99 at Waitrose

Veuve Clicquot Brut NV Champagne
Pinot Noir dominated champagne, approximately £30 at various merchants.
Taittinger Brut Réserve NV Champagne
High proportion of Chardonnay in this wine, approximately £32 at various merchants.

Pierre Moncuit Blanc de Blancs 1999 Vintage Champagne
All Chardonnay champagne available from The Winery (see links) for £30.99
Jean Velut, Cuvée Millésime 1999 Vintage Champagne
A blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir available from The Winery, approximately £30.

1 comment:

Anna said...

To Linda and everyone else. I had the most beautiful wine when I was at an equally great restaurant in Stockholm called 1900. The wine is called AN/2 with vintage 2006 which is a wine from Mallorca made up of three grapes - Callet, Manto Negra and a bit of Syrah. There were three of us who had it with different food and it was just fabulous with everything. It is big and round and smooth. Has quite a bit of chocolate and cinnamon to it. I am still trying to find where you can buy it in the UK but still no luck but I hope Linda can source it :) Hope you can all try it and I have to find it soon or I have to go to Mallorca or 1900 again.
Anna